Since learning how to use Sling Context-Aware Configurations (CA-Config) was a rabbit hole of information, I wanted to provide one source for learning how to use CA-Configs in Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) 6.2+. I have ordered these in the way that I think it’s easiest to understand the possibilities of where and when you would use CA-Configs.
The most informative resource is this series of blog posts from Jörg Hoh here: https://cqdump.wordpress.com/sling-context-aware-configuration/. I recommend reading the series from beginning to end as a starting point. Here are links to the individual posts in order:
- Sling Context-Aware configuration: Why it’s useful and use cases – https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2018/04/24/sling-context-aware-configuration/
- Sling Context-Aware configuration (Part 2): How to do it in AEM – https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2018/04/27/sling-context-aware-configuration-part-2/
- (Part 3): Using a UI – https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/sling-context-aware-configuration-part-3/
- (Part 4): Using Inheritance – https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2018/05/16/sling-context-aware-configuration-part-4-using-inheritance/
- (Part 5): Thoughts on Production Layout – https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2018/06/11/sling-context-aware-configuration-part-5-thoughts-on-a-production-layout/
- (Part 6): Replicate CA-Config – https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2018/08/23/sling-context-aware-configuration-part-6-replicate-ca-config/
- (Part 7): Conclusion – https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2018/08/28/sling-context-aware-configuration-part-7-a-conclusion/
Apache Sling Documentation
Once you have this base level understanding I think the Apache Sling documentation makes more sense and becomes useful: https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/context-aware-configuration/context-aware-configuration.html
wcm.io Context-Aware Configuration Editor Template
You may have noticed references to the wcm.io editor for CA-Configs. The next thing to dive into is learning more about the editor. There is a useful YouTube video from the 2017 AdaptTo() conference by Stefan Seifert which also discusses using CA-Configs in AEM.
If you find any additional resources which are useful make sure to add them in the comments!